20 Lessons I've Learned in my 20 Years
It's hard to believe that I'm in my "twenties". The last two decades have flown by and looking back, it's crazy to think about all the things I have gone through and how things have changed. To celebrate my big day, I thought I would pass along some things I've learned from my 20 years of life!
- Happiness is a choice. We all have our rough days, but at the end of the day we can choose to move on or to dwell in the past. Choose to look at the positives because you will be so much happier and that happiness will resonate with those around you.
- Stay in touch with the people you care about, even if you only see them a couple times a year. As I'm growing older, I'm realizing the value of having meaningful relationships. Don't let years of friendship come to an end because you're busy. Take the time to reach out to others.
- Be humble. Being humble doesn't mean to think less of yourself, but to think of yourself less. Be proud of your accomplishments and all the hard work you've done. Focus on continuing to better yourself without feeling the need to brag about it.
- STOP comparing yourself to others & worrying about what people think of you. At the end of the day, your happiness is the most important thing. Don't compare yourself because that's only going to bring you down and worrying holds you back. You are unique in your own way and deserve only the best.
- Stay curious. There's so much to explore in the world. Keep learning from those around you, listen to different perspectives, and take the initiative to learn about things that seem intriguing. Curiosity drives creativity and can only make you better.
- Be present in every moment. Be present in your conversations and make the most of every moment. By being intentional and focusing on the present, you will have stronger relationships, be more appreciative of life, and be more motivated on the projects you are working on.
- Take advantage of the opportunities you have. When opportunities come knocking at your door, go for it! Opportunities are short-lived and it is up to you to to make the most of them. Take advantage of them, learn from them, and you'll be surprised at how it may shape your life.
- Take risks and don't be afraid to explore the unknown. It can be scary to step out of your comfort zone, but don't let that hold you back. Start saying "yes" and don't "wish" you could do something, go out and do it! You'll be surprised at how much you learn about yourself.
- Make time for yourself. It's easy to get burnt out and forget to make time for yourself. Between your crazy schedule, make sure you have "me time". You'll be far less stressed and will feel recharged, ready to take on the next challenge!
- Never settle for less. Know your self worth. Be confident in who you are and all your abilities. Never think that you're not good enough and settle for something because it is easy or comfortable. Keep pushing yourself to improve everyday and go after your dreams.
- Surround yourself with people who inspire you. I'm a firm believer that you are who you surround yourself with. Be around people who motivate you to reach your goals and support you in all your endeavors.
- Time is precious, spend it with people you love. In a few years we won't remember that one bad test score, but rather we'll remember all the fond memories we've made. Instead of stressing about little things, take a moment to add to the diary of adventures you have with family and friends.
- What's meant to be, will be. We all have our ups and downs, but we need to remember that life has a weird way of balancing itself out. Don't beat yourself up over one failure because something great is waiting just around the corner.
- Be open-minded. Learn about different cultures, be vulnerable, and don't be afraid of making mistakes. By being open minded, you will strengthen yourself and gain more confidence since you're allowing yourself to hear new ideas and learn more about the world.
- Find something you're passionate about. Passion drives performance and makes life worth living. Find what gets you up in the morning and run with it. Don't settle for something that makes you unhappy, it's not worth the time.
- Appreciate where you are at this moment and all the work you made to get to this point. Sometimes we get caught up with what others are doing and forget to celebrate ourselves. Be proud of everything you've done and continue to better yourself.
- Build a brand for yourself. Understand who you are and how you want to be viewed. With social media being so prevalent, it's important to know what qualities you want people to associate you with and highlight your strengths.
- It's okay to ask for help. None of us are perfect, so don't be afraid to ask for help. Most people are willing to lend a helping hand and it's always better to ask questions than to sit back and do nothing. Take initiative!
- Be someone others look up to. Set a positive example for those around you and inspire them to reach their greatest potential. Be proud of the work you've done and pay it forward by guiding those who might need a little extra help.
- Life is unpredictable. While we all have our hopes and dreams, be open minded to the opportunities that come up. Odds are, you’re life is going to be completely different than what you expect in the next 10, 5, or even 3 years. Make the most of today and be excited about what life has in store for you!